How to dress a mannequin
Dressing a mannequin is not difficult if proper instructions to dress a mannequin are followed well. It is important to take things easy while dressing a mannequin in order to avoid scratches on the mannequin.
Steps in dressing a mannequin
- Select the dress that needs to be displayed. It is important to ensure that the dress fits mannequin well. Most mannequin has dress size 8 or 10. Check the waist measurement to determine correct size. After selecting the garment ensure that it is properly pressed using a garment steamer.
- Now mannequin needs to be taken apart and all parts including wrists, arms, torso and legs are properly kept on carpet or any fabric. Keep a extra large towel in store for this purpose. While taking apart, start with wrist as they tend to break easily.
- While dressing a mannequin always remember to start from the bottom and inside to outside. That means startingfrom socks, footwear and bottom garment and dress it on your way up. If display needs to undergarment or T shirt, put them first. The most visible garment needs to put in the end.
- Turn legs of mannequin upside down. Put socks and shoes first then put trousers. If you plan to display a skirt or dress, you may slide it from head side (remove arms first) then slide arms through the sleeves in case of a dress.
- At this point you can put back lower part, secure the trouser to mannequin using pins.
- Now go on to for dressing the top part. If you plan to dress T shirt slide it over the top before re-fixing arms. In case of shirt, gently slide the arms through the sleeve of the shirt, then re-fix the arm to the torso. Repeat the process with other hand then re-attach wrists.
- One garment is put, ensure that mannequin is secured to the base and then begin the main dressing and styling your mannequin to minute details. As a general rule, styling is done from top to bottom starting with the neckline and collars continue dressing down to the waistline and hip.
- Finishing off and styling needs to done keeping in mind the angle of the view that customer will see. Pay attention to crease, off the center neckline, inside seams on arms, accessories. Try to dress a mannequin with the same care as you would dress yourself. Always remember that mannequin is the face of your garment store so do not leave it untidy.
- Once dressing and styling is done try not to move the mannequin unnecessarily. Do keep the price tags hidden fromthe customer’s view. If you are putting accessories with metal part like necklace, sunglasses etc., do ensure not to scratch the mannequin paint
- Never dress mannequin on the shop floor. Do it in a back room or studio